I started this blog in order to post about some of the amazing cabins in Pigeon Forge as a way to introduce newcomers to the area as well as highlight some of the best places to stay for those who already know about it. Hopefully, there will be something for everyone who wants to visit the Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and Sevierville area in eastern Tennessee and the Smoky Mountains.
While there are many companies that rent vacation cabins, you might also consider using an Airbnb in Pigeon Forge, TN or VRBO. Some of the pros and cons include:
1) Some of the larger cabin rental companies are known for very poor customer service. Due to staffing issues they cannot always keep up with all of the requests and issues that may arise, and off hours responses to problems can be especially difficult. Some of the larger companies are not even in the area.
2) Larger rental management companies have poor quality control when it comes to the cabins they accept to manage and the maintenance of those cabins. Airbnb and VRBO owners rely on good reviews to get future bookings so a cabin that is poorly maintained will not even appear highly in the search rankings. Larger companies use their own websites for booking and will remove poor reviews so you have no idea if the cabin is good or not. Most people do not realize that the reviews they see on these sites are only the ones they want you to see.
3) Smaller management companies and individual owners rely on Airbnb and VRBO to a much larger extent and are more likely to be more proactive to potential issues, and responsive when a problem does occur.
4) When it comes to pricing, there will always be fees for the management company or Airbnb. When comparing prices, make sure everything is included like nightly rate, admin/booking fee, cleaning, etc. Also note that some companies require damage insurance which is a significant cost to the renter. And always remember, if a deal seems to good to be true then it probably is. You get what you pay for.
5) Make sure the pictures are recent and look very closely at every one. You may see things that you want to ask about or notice something that bothers you. Also, check for amenities like washer/dryer, parking, and child/baby stuff.
6) Location is a huge factor in your decision, so if you are not familiar with the area then a larger company may be able to help you find the right cabin based on the things you want to do while in Pigeon Forge. Some of the popular attractions are Dollywood, Parrot Mountain, Great Smoky Mountains National Park and The Island. Airbnb and VRBO have maps that you can move around and zoom in to find the perfect area for your stay.
I recommend getting to know the area by reading about the different event, attractions and activities. Look at all local towns including Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Gatlinburg and Sevierville to get an idea of where to find each type of attraction. There are thousands of cabins to choose from but make sure you book in advance to get just the right place. If you wait too long only the bad cabins may be available.
Stay tuned for more posts about this exciting tourist area and how to make your stay full of lifetime memories that you will talk about for years to come.